Frequently Asked Questions About Facility Rentals

Here are some of our most frequently asked questions regarding facility rentals at SCI. More questions? Contact us at (515) 274-6868 ext. 311 or email

Is a contract or deposit required?

Secure your rental with a signed contract and a non-refundable deposit. SCI accepts corporate checks, cash, money orders and credit cards but cannot provide direct billing.

Are alcoholic beverages allowed?

Cocktails, wine and beer may be served within rental areas for guests ages 21 and over. Alcoholic beverages must be provided and served by SCI. Security staffing may be required.

Can we bring in outside food and drinks?

All food and beverages must be provided by SCI's preferred caterer. Exceptions include cake, mints and nuts provided by the client.

Can we decorate?

You are welcome to bring decorations to enhance your event. To protect our equipment and surfaces, candles, helium balloons, birdseed, bubbles, glitter, rice confetti and fog are prohibited and hanging, tacking, pinning or taping to facility walls is not allowed.

Can we hire a band or DJ?

Yes! Please pre-approve DJs and live bands through SCI to facilitate the best entertainment experience.

Is audio/visual support available?

SCI is pleased to offer some in-house A/V equipment available for rent. For needs beyond our expertise, Pratt Audio-Visual and Video Corporation is SCI's preferred vendor.

Where can my guests park?

You are welcome to host parking for your guests in SCI's covered parking ramp north of the main entrance for a flat $4.00 per car fee. Guests may also pay the hourly ramp rate, or metered street parking is available.