Your Brain on Love
This is your brain. This is your brain on love. We all know what love is... Or at least we think that we do. Love is a many splendored thing; love lifts us up where we belong; all you need is love. Philosophers, theologians, artists and boy bands have waxed poetic about the nature of love for centuries. But what does the brain have to say about the way we carry our hearts?
- What in your brain makes you love someone - or simply lust after them?
- Why do good girls like bad boys?
- How thin is that line between love and hate?
- What is love and why does it torture, delight and transform us so?
Join us for a special Cafe Scienfique as we examine Your Brain on Love. You'll never look at romance the same way again.
Kayt Sukel is a passionate traveler, science writer and author of Dirty Minds: How Our Brains Influence Love, Sex, and Relationships. She has no problem tackling interesting (and often taboo) subjects spanning love, sex, neuroscience, travel and politics. Her work has appeared in the Atlantic Monthly, the New Scientist, USA Today, Pacific Standard, the Washington Post and more.
Saturday, February 9, 2013
- 6:00 p.m. - Dinner Under the Stars (additional ticket price)
- 6:30 p.m. - Cocktail Reception
- 8:00 p.m. - Your Brain on Love presentation
- 8:45 p.m. - Question and answer session
- 9:15 p.m. - Book signing
- Presentation - $15 per person
Includes cocktail reception, presentation and book signing
- Dinner Under the Stars* + Presentation (limited availability) - $60 per person
Includes three-course dinner catered by SCI's Food Chain Cafe, cocktail reception, presentation and book signing
Salad: Mixed Green Salad
Appetizer: Stuffed mushrooms and white bean crostini’s
Entree, your choice of:
-Stuffed Chicken Breast with prosciutto, spinach and farmer's cheese. Served with roasted vegetable orzo and roasted brussels sprouts OR
-Peppered Steak with whipped root vegetables and green beans OR
-Grilled Portabella Mushroom with blue cheese, served with whipped root vegetables and roasted brussels sprouts
Dessert: Chocolate Strawberry martini and your choice of
-White chocolate cheesecake OR
-Selection of fine chocolates
- Dirty Minds: How Our Brains Influence Love, Sex, and Relationships book - $20 (before January 28); $25 (January 28 through February 9)
Tickets on sale beginning Monday, January 7. Purchase tickets:
- By phone at 515-274-6868 ext. 222
- In person at the SCI Sales Office
*Purchase Dinner Under the Stars tickets by calling the SCI Sales Office at 515-274-6868 ext. 222. Deadline for Dinner reservations is 5 pm on Wednesday, February 6.
Cafe Scientifique is monthly event series that engages Central Iowa's adult learning community in contemporary science.
Engage in SCI
- Support SCI
- Facility Rental
- Group Visits
- Birthday Parties
- $5 Family Night
- Astronomy Events
- Breakfast with Santa
- Brick Built: Engineering SCI
- Collectors' Corner
- Documentary Double Features
- Girls in Science
- Mixology Night
- Scientist in Residence
- Spooky Science
- Wild Music: Sounds & Songs of Life