The Science Center of Iowa presents a FREE science-based program for adults and young adults!
"Cafe Sci" events are happening all over the world. On the second Tuesday of each month, SCI invites the community to join the conversation over cocktails and coffee. We are committed to hosting leaders in science and technology to engage you in meaningful and relevant topics in an informal setting. Each event begins with an introduction and background of the topic by the featured presenter. After a brief break, the experience continues with an open forum for questions and discussion. Come relax or get involved!
Upcoming Cafe Sci Events:
- December 10 - Where's Waldo? And Other Uses for Geography
Location: Java Joes, 214 4th Street, Downtown Des Moines
As society migrates from maps to apps, geography has gone digital. The technology that allows your phone to know where you are is called GIS, or geographic information systems. Turns out, it also has more scientific applications than checking into your favorite restaurant on Foursquare. Join us to learn why GIS is rapidly becoming the decision-making tool for a variety of fields, including environmental conservation, business and healthcare as well as how these tools are giving researchers an entirely new view of the world.
RSVP encouraged to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Cafe Sci:
- Events are free to the general public; Coffee, beverages or appetizers are usually available for purchase
- Many events are held off-site at restaurants, cafes and other venues
- No scientific background is necessary, just an interest in the topic at hand
- All ages are welcome but content is geared for adults and young adults
- Click here for a library of previous Cafe Sci events
Interested in presenting a topic or hosting an event? Inquire at email@example.com or (515) 274-6868 ext. 234