The Science Center of Iowa presents a FREE science-based program for adults and young adults!
"Cafe Sci" events are happening all over the world. On the second Tuesday of each month, SCI invites the community to join the conversation over cocktails and coffee. We are committed to hosting leaders in science and technology to engage you in meaningful and relevant topics in an informal setting. Each event begins with an introduction and background of the topic by the featured presenter. After a brief break, the experience continues with an open forum for questions and discussion. Come relax or get involved!
Upcoming Cafe Sci Events:
- February 11 - Animal Attraction
Presenter: Amy Worthington, graduate student, Department of Ecology, Evolution and Organismal Biology, Iowa State University
Location: Capital Pub & Hot Dog Co., 400 SE 6th, Des Moines East Village
Sex is risky behavior! Join us in celebrating Valentine's Day by learning about the fascinatingly bizarre traits and behaviors that animals have evolved in the name of sexual conflict.
- March 11 - Farming Tumors: Engineering Approaches to Oncology
Presenter: Ian Schneider, PhD, Assistant Professor of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Iowa State University
Cancer is a disease that impacts virtually everyone's lives in one way or another. While much of cancer research relies on genetics, Schneider's research focuses on environmental factors. Join us to learn about future applications for engineering in the fight against cancer.
RSVP encouraged to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Cafe Sci:
- Events are free to the general public; Coffee, beverages or appetizers are usually available for purchase
- Many events are held off-site at restaurants, cafes and other venues
- No scientific background is necessary, just an interest in the topic at hand
- All ages are welcome but content is geared for adults and young adults
- Click here for a library of previous Cafe Sci events
Interested in presenting a topic or hosting an event? Inquire at email@example.com or (515) 274-6868 ext. 234