Downtown Earth Day Tour
Saturday, April 22, 2017
11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Celebrate Earth Day at and between two downtown attractions: the Science Center of Iowa and the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden!
Enjoy free admission and activities at both locations, thanks to support from The Principal.
It's less than 1.5 miles (one-way) between the Science Center of Iowa and the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden... Be kind to the environment by not driving your car!
Use the trails and The Principal Riverwalk to walk or bike between locations and participate in an Earth Day Scavenger Hunt. Or catch a free pedicab! View map
Science Center of Iowa | 400 W. Martin Luther King, Jr. Pkwy
- Share, trade and display your best finds from nature in the Collectors' Corner mini exhibit
- Explore the traveling exhibit Wild Music and catch nature-themed programming, including Cold-Blooded Critters
- Interact with local conservation organizations
- Free bicycle valet for secure parking (Provided by the Des Moines Bicycle Collective)
Iowa Rivers Revival @ The Riverwalk Hub | 215 Water Street
- Enjoy spectacular views of the Des Moines River
- Learn about river conservation and dam mitigation
- Interact with local conservation organizations, including the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and the Environmental Law and Policy Center
- Grab lunch or a snack at the Riverwalk Hub's Trellis Cafe
Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden | 909 Robert D. Ray Drive
- Explore botanical collections from around the globe in both indoor and outdoor gardens
- Make a take-home pollinator planting
- Interact with local conservation organizations, including Neal Smith Wildlife Refuge, Polk County Conservation and Metro Waste Authority