Pint Size Science
Discover the wonders of science in monthly classes designed specifically for young explorers ages 3 to 5 and their families!
Led by an SCI Programs Team member, this interactive classroom experience allows young explorers to discover the world around them through fun, hands-on activities they can share with a parent or caregiver. General admission to SCI the day of your class is included!
Choose a time that works for you! Pint Size Science begins at 10:00 am on Wednesdays (September through May), 1:00 pm on Tuesdays (September through May) and 10:00 am on Saturdays (year-round). Each class lasts approximately one hour. Pick from these exciting topics:
- September 11, 17 & 21 - Science Sprouts - An introduction to science! Learn what science is and who scientists are while getting a chance to test experiments with the help of an SCI Scientist. Don't miss this chance to feel like a mad scientist as we make ooey-gooey and bubbling creations!
- October 2, 15 & 19 - On the Farm - It's fall on the farm! Help harvest crops, plant pumpkins and tend to animals both big and small. Join our class for fun on the farm as we learn about simple machines, how plants grow, harvesting food and the many jobs a farmer does each day!
- November 6, 19 & 23 - Things that Glow - Light up the night! From lightning bugs and rocks to glow sticks, this special Pint Size Science class will have you glow-ing. Join us as we turn down the lights and discover how both natural and manmade things light up the dark!
- December 4, 17 & 21 - Rainforest Romp - Discover one of the world's biggest and most incredible mysteries as we uncover life in the rainforest! Where are rainforests located? What animals live there? Find out all about this amazing ecosystem, the animals that live there and the amazing explorers who help us to understand it better.
- January 1 & 25 - Healthy Me - What can we do to help our bodies stay healthy? Find out all about eating right, staying active and using healthy habits. Become an astronaut trainee for the day as we stretch, balance, run and jump while we hear from real astronauts what it takes to go up in space! Staying fit can be fun as you "Train Like an Astronaut!"
- February 5, 15 & 18 - Out of this World - Blast off into space as we explore our galaxy! Learn about stars, constellations and our planets. With the help from our Star Theater planetarium, we will become astronauts for the day as we land on the moon, take a ride through Saturn's rings and fly among the stars!
- March 5, 18 & 22 - Dino Detectives - Bring the past to life as we explore a prehistoric world! Become a paleontologist for a day as we learn about dinosaurs and fossils with hands-on activities. Are you as tall as a dinosaur? Do you eat the same thing as a dinosaur? Join us this month to uncover the fascinating world of these ancient creatures!
- April 2, 15 & 19 - Construction Zone - Ever wondered how skyscrapers are built? Do you dream of building bridges and working with a crane? Join us this month as we explore tools and machines of a construction site, examine a blueprint and then test our skills as we construct buildings with edible materials!
- May 7, 20 & 24 - Animal Tales - Discover the noises of the night and learn about mystifying nocturnal animals as you journey into the forest after the sun goes down with the help of our Star Theater planetarium! We will explore the habitats of nocturnal animals as we discuss the science behind camouflageand reveal the squeaks and howls these special animals make before getting to meet and touch some of SCI's favorite critters!
Summer 2014 -- Pint Size Saturdays
- June 21 - Insect Investigators - Beetles and spiders and ants, oh my! Join us this month as we identify all types of bugs and insects using magnifying glasses, and learn how truly incredible bugs really are! Then, take a stroll outside SCI as we try to collect insects in homemade bug jars!
- July 19 - Whale Watch - Did you know that 70% of our Earth is covered in water? Join us this month as we discover the wonders of the ocean deep! Our young explorers will discover ocean life both big and small, learn why fish swim in schools and find out just how big a blue whale is!
- August 16 - Subzero Science - Beat the heat and come ‘chill out’ at SCI as we experiment with extreme temperatures! Watch as we cool things down with dry ice and liquid nitrogen at temperatures over 109 degrees below zero! Then, find out how our states of matter -- solids, liquids and gases -- are affected by the cold in some really "cool" experiments.
Pricing per class: $8 SCI Members / $12 Non-members
Pre-registration is encouraged prior to each session. To register or for more information, call the Sales Office at (515) 274-6868.
Members receive a discount on Pint Size Science - become a member today and save!
COMING SOON: Download the registration form and sign up today!