Rooted in Science: Welcoming Back the Community
SCI's reopening plan is designed to keep the health and safety of our members, visitors, volunteers and staff top-of-mind. Our decisions are rooted in science. They are based on guidance from public health officials and follow best practices shared by our peers at the Association of Science and Technology Centers (ASTC).
What to expect when you visit
The current SCI experience is modified to limit crowds and reduce the spread of germs. Be sure to review the information below regarding COVID-19 precautions!
Hours & Ticketing
SCI is open Wednesday through Sunday until September 6.
Ticketing / Timeslots: Due to capacity restrictions, we recommend reserving advance tickets for either the AM timeslot (9:00 am - 12:00 pm) or PM timeslot (1:00-4:00 pm). SCI is closed from 12:00-1:00 pm.
Reserve advance tickets at www.sciowa.org/gettickets. Members are FREE but should still reserve tickets in advance, if possible.
As the number of positive COVID-19 cases increase in Polk County and the state, the Science Center of Iowa wants you to know that our visitors are important. Per CDC guidelines, the Science Center of Iowa will require all visitors ages 2+ as well as employees to wear masks until further notice.
All of our exhibits are now open, including:
- Brick by Brick– Marvel at some of the world's most iconic buildings and structures constructed entirely from LEGO® bricks and discover the engineering principles that make them possible.
- Makers Studio – Experience "hands on, brains on learning" in this interactive exhibit space on SCI’s Main Level. Experiment with circuits, create a stop-motion animation video, build and test a flying machine and more!
- Small Discoveries – Imagine, experiment and play as you take a tour around Toddler Town, get your groceries in the Fareway market and create giant bubbles in Bubble Bay.
- What On Earth? – Come face-to-face with cold-blooded critters, explore Iowa’s native habitats and try your hand at forecasting weather in front of the WHO-HD Weather Studio green screen. (Note: WHO will not be broadcasting from SCI for the time being.)
- When Things Get Moving – Build and launch your own paper rocket, maneuver a ball through a giant air-powered obstacle course, harness the power of water and more.
- Why the Sky? – Explore the planets of our solar sytem, discover how study the universe and see a flight suit worn by Iowa-born astronaut Peggy Whitson. Please note: Exhibit is being renovated and some components may be removed.
- Star Theater planetarium – Immerse yourself in the night sky under the 50-foot, 360-degree domed screen. Planetarium programs will be offered during each ticketing timeslot.
- Mini exhibits Nano and Sun Earth Universe
Live programs and/or planetarium shows will be scheduled each day. Check the program schedule on the day of your visit!
Gift Store and Café
The A-ha! Store will be open on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 am-4:00 pm. The Food Chain Café remains closed for the time being. There also will be no access to water fountains, but bottles of water and soda will be sold in the A-ha! Store.
Still have questions?
Check out these resource pages or contact us at 515-274-6868 ext. 222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Next Steps:
As we learn more about the virus and how it’s impacting our community, as well as how our audiences interact with our exhibits and programs under these new circumstances, the SCI experience will change and evolve. We’re taking it one step at a time - and we thank you for your patience and understanding as we adjust to this “new normal.”
Ways to Support SCI
At SCI, our goal is to inspire the next generation of scientists, engineers and inventors... the ones who will solve the world's next big problems.
To do this, we depend on admissions, program fees, memberships and contributions. Being closed has had a major financial impact, but we have remained committed to adapting and innovating to continue fulfilling our mission.
If you are able, we would greatly appreciate your support through a donation or the purchase of an SCI membership. Thank you for your commitment to science and unwavering support of SCI!