From common astronomical occurrences to rare cosmic phenomena, join us to learn about our solar system and beyond.
Join SCI staff and members of the Des Moines Astronomical Society to observe celestial objects, colorful double stars and star clusters, meteor showers and more through high-powered telescopes!
2020 Star Parties
- Friday, January 10, 7:00-9:00 pm at SCI - CANCELLED due to weather
Full Moon – Full Wolf Moon and Venus
- Sunday, February 9, 7:00-9:00 pm at Birdland Shelter View map
Full Moon – Supermoon – Full Snow Moon
- Saturday, March 7, 8:00-10:00 pm at Ewing Park View map
Waxing Gibbous Moon and Venus
- Saturday, April 11, 8:30-10:30 pm at SCI - CANCELLED
Waning Gibbous Moon and Venus
- Saturday, April 25, 9:00-11:00 pm at Ashton Observatory - CANCELLED due to COVID-19
Lyrids Meteor Shower
- Saturday, May 23, 9:30-11:30 pm at SCI - CANCELLED due to COVID-19
Young Moon – Orion Nebula, Galilean Moons
- Sunday, July 5, 9:30-11:30 pm at Ewing Park - CANCELLED due to COVID-19
Full Moon – Full Buck Moon, Jupiter and Saturn
- Tuesday, July 14, 9:00-11:00 pm at SCI (Café Sci) - CANCELLED due to COVID-19
Jupiter at opposition, Saturn
- Saturday, August 15, 6:00-11:00 pm at Ewing Park - CANCELLED due to COVID-19
Perseids Meteor Shower
- Saturday, October 31, 7:00-9:00 pm at Ewing Park - TENTATIVE
Full Moon – Blue Moon (very spooky!)
- Friday, November 13, 6:30-8:30 pm at SCI - TENTATIVE
Old Moon, Jupiter and Mars
- Saturday, December 12, 6:30-8:30 pm at Ewing Park - TENTATIVE
Geminids Meteor Shower and Old Moon
PLEASE NOTE: Star Parties are weather dependent and are subject to cancellation. Check the SCI website and Facebook for updates on the event.
Star Parties are offered through a partnership with Des Moines Parks & Recreation and volunteers from the Des Moines Astronomical Society. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact email@example.com.