Your membership starts the day it is purchased and expires at the end of the month in one calendar year. Example: If you purchased a membership on July 15, 2020, it will expire on July 31, 2021.
For questions regarding your digital SCI membership card, click here.
Who does my membership cover?
The level of your membership determines who it covers:
- Individual Plus One memberships allow the member listed on the card plus one guest into SCI.
- Family memberships allow two listed adults and all children ages 18 and younger living in the same household into SCI. Children's names and birthdates will be collected at time of purchase.
- Grandparent memberships allow the two listed grandparents living in the same household and all grandchildren ages 18 and younger into SCI. Grandchildren's names and birthdates will be collected at time of purchase.
- Plus Two memberships include all the benefits of a Family or Grandparent membership plus two additional unnamed guests per visit.
What are the benefits I receive as part of my membership?
Your membership allows you free, unlimited general admission to SCI year-round. (We are closed on Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Mondays between Labor Day and Memorial Day.)
In addition you receive:
- Access to exclusive member family workshops
- $5 documentary IMAX tickets and discounts on Hollywood films (currently closed for repairs)
- 10% discount at the A-ha! Store
- 10% discount in the Food Chain Cafe
- Discounts and priority registration on camps
- Discounts on birthday parties and private events
- Discounts on guest admissions ($3 off adult tickets; $2 off child/senior tickets)
- Two one-time use parking vouchers for the SCI Parking Garage
- Free or discounted admission to more than 300 other science centers for one year through our reciprocal membership program
- Discounts for local area attractions and restaurants. Check out the current member resources for a list of current discounts
I haven't received my two single-use parking passes. Can I have them mailed to me?
Parking passes are not mailed. Instead, they are available at the SCI Box Office and are redeemable when you visit.
I purchased the Plus Two membership. Can my kids use it if I'm not there?
Yes! Plus Two memberships allow two guests of any age to visit SCI as long as they are with one member of the family. This means grandparents and babysitters can bring member children for free even if you aren't with them.
I am on vacation and forgot my membership card at home, but would like to visit the local science center. Can I still get in for free?
Your digital membership card allows you to participate in the Association of Science-Technology Centers' (ASTC) Passport Program. If you have not received your digital membership card, call 515-274-6868 ext. 4.
Can I purchase a membership for a relative or friend?
Yes! A gift membership is a gift that keeps giving. You can purchase gift memberships online, by phone or during your next visit to SCI. Note: Due to Association of Science-Technology Center rules, we are unable to extend memberships to those who live outside the state of Iowa.
Is my membership, or any portion, tax deductible?
No. SCI memberships are not tax deductible because there are goods and services exchanged for the purchase of your membership.
Can I receive physical membership cards instead of digital membership cards?
All members of the Science Center of Iowa receive digital membership cards by default. If your membership also includes the Blank Park Zoo and/or Living History Farms, you will still receive physical membership cards. If you are a member of SCI only, you can request physical membership cards by emailing email@example.com or calling 515-274-6868 ext. 4.
Can I change my membership level?
Your membership can be upgraded at any time to a higher membership level or to include the Blank Park Zoo and/or Living History Farms. Memberships cannot be downgraded to a lower level. The organization(s) included in a membership cannot be switched. For any issues with your membership level, please contact our membership team within seven days of purchase by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 515-274-6868 ext. 4.
I purchased an SCI membership and would like to add the Blank Park Zoo and/or Living History Farms to my membership. Can I do that?
Yes. You may upgrade your membership to a Combo or TRI membership at any time within the first nine months of your membership. If you are within three months of your expiration, you may renew your membership early at the Combo level.
How do I contact the membership department for questions?
Phone: 515-274-6868 ext. 4
Policies of Membership
- SCI, Combo and TRI memberships are nonrefundable and nontransferable. All are valid for one year and expire on the last day of the month your purchase was made.
- SCI recognizes the Association of Science and Technology Centers' Passport Program residency restrictions with regard to reciprocal membership. To receive free or discounted admission to other science centers nationwide, you must live more than 90 miles away from the science center or museum you wish to visit. Admissions staff reserve the right to request proof of residence for benefits to apply. Contact SCI's membership department with questions.
- The Science Center of Iowa reserves the right to terminate or deny membership at any time. Cause for termination can include showing disrespectful behavior towards the exhibits, staff or guests of the science center; inappropriate conduct, including, but not limited to, conduct that is disruptive, abusive or violent; or for failing to comply with membership terms and conditions or abusing privileges.