Your membership starts the day it is purchased and expires at the end of the month in one calendar year. Example: If you purchased a membership on July 15, 2017, it will expire on July 31, 2018.
Who does my membership cover?
The level of your membership determines who it covers:
- Individual Plus One memberships allow the member listed on the card plus one guest into SCI.
- Family memberships allow two listed adults and all children ages 18 and younger living in the same household into SCI. Children's names and birthdates will be collected at time of purchase.
- Grandparent memberships allow the two listed grandparents living in the same household and all grandchildren ages 18 and younger into SCI. Grandchildren's names and birthdates will be collected at time of purchase.
- Plus Two memberships include all the benefits of a Family or Grandparent membership plus two additional unnamed guests per visit.
What are the benefits I receive as part of my membership?
Your membership allows you free, unlimited general admission to SCI year-round. (We are closed on Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Mondays between Labor Day and Memorial Day.)
In addition you receive:
- FREE registration for monthly member-exclusive family workshops
- $5 documentary IMAX tickets and discounts on Hollywood films
- 10% discount in the Food Chain Cafe and A-ha! Store
- Discounts on SCI camps, birthday parties, workshops and special programs
- Discounts on guest admissions ($9 per adult, $6 per child)
- Free or discounted admission to more than 300 other science centers for one year through our reciprocal membership program
- Discounts for local area attractions and restaurants. Check out the current member resources for a list of current discounts
I purchased the Plus Two membership. Can my kids use it if I'm not there?
Yes! Plus Two memberships allow two guests of any age to visit SCI as long as they are with one member of the family. This means grandparents and babysitters can bring member children for free even if you aren't with them.
I am on vacation and forgot my membership card at home, but would like to visit the local science center. Can I still get in for free?
Unfortunately, your membership card is what permits you to participate in the Association of Science and Technology Center’s passport program. You need your membership card to gain free access to these museums.
How can I get a replacement membership card?
If you have received cards with inaccurate information, please contact us immediately to replace your cards. If your membership cards have become lost or stolen, we can issue additional cards for $5.
Can I get more membership cards?
In order for us to keep membership prices low, we are unable to offer more than two cards for Family or Grand memberships and one card for a One Plus One membership.
Can I purchase a membership for a relative or friend?
Yes! A gift membership is a gift that keeps giving. You can purchase gift memberships online, by phone or during your next visit to SCI. Note: Due to Association of Science-Technology Center rules, we are unable to extend memberships to those who live outside the state of Iowa.
Is my membership, or any portion, tax deductible?
No. SCI memberships are not tax deductible because there are goods and services exchanged for the purchase of your membership.
I purchased an SCI membership and would like to add the Blank Park Zoo and/or Living History Farms to my membership. Can I do that?
Yes. You may upgrade your membership to a Combo or TRI membership at any time within the first seven months of your membership. If you are within five months of your expiration, you may renew your membership early at the Combo level.
How do I contact the membership department for questions?
Phone: 515-274-6868 ext. 4