Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Department: Community Engagement
Reports To: VIce President of Community Engagement
Direct Reports: No
The Director of Major Gifts is responsible for strategy, cultivation and solicitation of individual major gifts, which advance the fundraising for major campaigns and the organization. The Director will work with staff and campaign volunteers to reach identified goals outlined in campaigns and the organization’s strategic plan.
The position reports directly to the Vice President of Community Engagement and will be:
- Passionate about the mission of SCI and the community served by its assets and programs;
- Committed to building meaningful relationships;
- Highly motivated to raise funds to support the organization;
- Able to develop strategies for successfully closing major gifts;
- Comfortable working with SCI donors, staff, volunteers and clients; and highly collaborative with the science center staff and volunteer leadership to achieve overall goals
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and perform other duties as assigned.
- Develop strategy in concert with the organization’s case for support and in collaboration with the advancement team and volunteers
- Develop and recommend a strategy for major gift donors that will: Engage and retain existing donors; increase the average gift size; and expand the number of donors.
- Create and manage a major gift donor plan for an assigned portfolio of dedicated prospects
- Communicate the donor plan tactics and goals to the Vice President of Community Engagement to ensure the plan is accepted and incorporated into the overall advancement plans and operations
- Engage donors through effective communications (e.g., written, face-to-face, web and social media, events).
- Build relationships with donors
- Cultivate major gift donors and solicits gifts to maximize philanthropic giving for targeted segments
- Work closely with the team to ensure overall success of the advancement function
- Support team members with parallel fundraising activities, such as mid-level, annual fund, events, planned-giving and campaigns
- Develop appropriate metrics and reports for major gifts
- Maintain donor tracking and systems via the CRM system
- Develop documentation and work closely with donor communications, finance, annual fund and grants
- Utilize the approved messaging and brand of the Science Center of Iowa to promote the amenities of the campaign in order to elevate the organization and position it for success
Education and Experience
- A bachelor's degree in an appropriate field
- Extensive fundraising preferred with 5-10 years of experience in related fundraising practices (e.g., donor relations, engagement, planned-giving, annual fund, event management)
Competencies, Skills and Abilities
- Deep, passionate commitment to SCI’s mission and the ability to communicate its objectives enthusiastically to potential donors
- Strategic mindset and ability to develop plans to maximize philanthropic giving from the assigned portfolio and major-gift donors
- Knowledge of fund development principles, strategies and tactics
- Customer focus – ability to engage donors, staff, volunteers and community constituents
- Drive for results
- Interpersonal savvy and ability to establish relationships with integrity and trust
- Persuasion skills
- Political savvy in working with donors, funders, community leaders and volunteers
- Ability to work independently and collaborate
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Communicate effectively (verbal, written and presentation)
- Manage ambiguity and be flexible in responding to the needs of a fast-moving, dynamic and complex department
- Proficient with computer software with preference to Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and donor data base management
Licenses and Certificates
- Valid drivers' licence preferred
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
Working Hours: Full time, which will include, but not be limited to nights, weekends and possible holidays. Schedule will vary based upon SCI events and organizational needs.
To Apply: Email your cover letter, resume and completed application materials to email@example.com by September 10. Review of applications will begin immediately and remain open until the candidate is hired. Only electronic applications are accepted. No paper applications will be considered.