Reports To: President/CEO
Direct Reports: Yes
Reporting to the CEO the Vice President Science Learning is an integral part of the leadership for SCI and will play a key role in defining the future of the organization and advancing STEM learning programs for all audiences.
The VP Science Learning will oversee all aspects of planning and operations for the educational programs and the participant experience at the Science Center of Iowa. The position is charged with building on the organization’s history and accomplishments to establish SCI as Iowa’s leader in free- choice science learning. SCI serves a diverse range of lifelong learners and is committed to meaningful partnerships with PK-12 schools, academia and business partners to advance science learning throughout Iowa. The position has broad responsibility for the oversight of the planning, research, development, implementation and evaluation of all education programs, outreach and participant programs.
SCI has an active science demonstration program and is in the early planning stages for significant improvements and updates to all of its exhibit and programming areas. SCI also operates a science- based preschool with enrollment of over 120 students. Staff work closely with statewide efforts to improve STEM education and is positioned as a leader in these efforts. The VP will oversee, grow and improve these areas of the operations.
- As a member of the executive team, proactively manage the institution with SCI’s Core Values of Copassion, Innovation, Integrity and
- Provide leadership for SCI's educational mission through a strong understanding of effective approaches in STEM education and learning
- Responsible for planning, developing and implementing programs and projects in support of the Strategic Plan and fulfilling the goals of the annual operating plan
- Oversee the development of annual business plans and budgets, and manage their successful implementation to ensure the timely, cost-effective and high-quality execution of projects and programs
- Provide ongoing leadership and development of SCI's educational mission through a strong understanding of effective approaches in STEM education and learning
- Cultivate relationships with other regional cultural institutions, colleges/universities, school districts and community partners to promote collaboration and engagement
- Work in close partnership with schools, districts and educators to develop programs that align with the needs of Iowa students
- Oversee the development and implementation of teacher professional development programs
- Oversee the SCI Preschool
- Oversee the exhibits department
- Work closely with the Communications Department to develop promotion and public relations strategies for all SCI programs
- Work closely with the Community Engagement Team to support fundraising and grant application efforts
- Promotes and supports professional development of team members through effective coaching and performance management
- Directs research regarding exhibition and programs as it relates to STEM and informal learning
- Represent SCI as needed in cultivating relationships with national organizations such as NSTA, NASA, NSF, AAAS, ASTC, AAM,
- Represent SCI before other museum organizations, museum Boards, funding agencies, businesses, government agencies and general public as necessary
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree required, in educational field with STEM background; nonprofit or museum field highly desirable; advanced degree preferred or equivalent 7-10 years’ related experience
- Minimum five years in a supervisory and management position
- Demonstrated leadership ability and ability to manage multiple departments/units and staff
- Proven ability to direct large and extensive projects; direct multi-team efforts on creative projects
- Demonstrated understanding of fiscal management
- Experience with the development and implementation of informal science learning programs
- Proven ability to incorporate informal learning methods into exhibits and programs
- Minimum three to five years’ experience in operational and strategic budget development and management
- Exemplary oral and written communication skills; proven ability to translate and communicate complex scientific and inquiry-based information
- Must excel in a team oriented, cross-functional environment with an emphasis on pursuing a shared vision
This position is regular full-time hours including some occasional weekends. Must be able to attend meetings and events on nights and weekends as needed.