Bring learning to life at the Science Center of Iowa!
Centrally located in Downtown Des Moines, SCI features hands-on exhibits, special-format theaters and unique programming to encourage learning and fun for all ages. With live science demonstrations, a 50-foot planetarium and interactive experiences around every corner, there's always more to explore!
- Themed experience platforms and hands-on exhibits
- Live programs and demonstrations by the SCI Programs Team
- The Star Theater, a 50-foot planetarium
- The A-ha! Store, featuring gizmos and gadgets of all sorts
Visit the A-ha! Store to take something home as a reminder of your visit! You'll find everything from gadgets to gizmos and from kits to contraptions and so much more in the A-ha! Store, located near the entrance to SCI. Members enjoy a 10% discount on every purchase.
Looking for something specific? Give us a call at 515-274-6868 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SCI is fully handicap accessible, and wheelchairs are available free of charge for use during your visit.
Service animals are welcome at the Science Center of Iowa. Service animals, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, are dogs trained to do work or perform specific tasks for a guest with a disability. Other animals are not allowed in order to protect the health and safety of the animals in SCI’s care.
- Sensory Input Guides – Signs are posted throughout the building indicating audio, visual and tactile stimuli.
- Sensory Guide – This guide features coded maps, which indicate audio, visual and tactile stimuli in each space throughout the building. View Sensory Guide
- Sensory Backpacks – Available for checkout at the SCI Box Office, these backpacks are filled with tools to help you tailor your experience, including noise-reducing headphones, sunglasses, weighted stuffed animals and fidget materials.
Additional Visitor Information
Covered garage parking is available just across the street from SCI's main entrance. Hourly rate is $3 for the first hour & $1 for each additional hour.
An ATM is located in the Lobby near the A-ha! Store.
Want the latest news about SCI? Sign up for our monthly newsletter.