Classification: Part Time, Non-Exempt
Reports To: Programs Manager
Department: Science Learning
The Program Presenter is responsible for delivering presentations of SCI programs for public and group participants. This may include both onsite and offsite delivery, throughout the week, weekend, holidays and evenings.
- Deliver a varied and changing repertoire of live programs and personal table top demonstrations, ranging from small to large format presentations
- Report consistent program attendance records and monitor their impact in supporting SCI’s mission and existing exhibits
- Function as a direct representative from the science learning team to the public.
- Support exhibit staff; including but not limited to opening and closing of the experience platforms
- Program Department daily operational support including, but not limited to conducting live programs and labs, orientations for visiting schools/groups including Outreach presentations
- Provide support with other SCI staff on program and project development
- Maintain individual training log on program presentations and demonstrations
- Coordinate with the Programs Manager to keep schedules up-to-date
- On-floor supervision of program supplies in experience platforms and work alongside volunteers
- Responsible for daily programs operation trouble shooting
- Support Visitor Services operations as needed
- Additional duties as assigned
Education, Experience and/or Other Requirements
- Awareness and sensitivity in interacting with diverse populations
- High School Diploma with an interest in the sciences, education, or theater
- Ability to communicate complex science concepts in a fun and interesting fashion
- Motivated and resourceful self-starter with effective multitasking skills
- Excellent communication skills; engaging, entertaining and confident public speaker
- Able to work as part of a creative team, being flexible, dependable and creative
- Proactive; able to identify and improve product quality and development
- Service oriented; upholds Science Center of Iowa values and integrity
- Willing to travel if necessary for Outreach presentations
- Experience in program presentation to small and large groups
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and hear or talk. The employee is frequently required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stop, kneel or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
This is a part-time position, not to exceed 29 hours per week. Hours will vary based on business needs and personal schedules. Work hours may include evenings, weekends and holidays.