How we're handling COVID-19
- Wednesday March 11, 2020
- General SCI
To our SCI community,
At the Science Center of Iowa, we have a set of core values that guide the way we make decisions and how we serve you. One of those values is SAFETY. With that in mind, we are actively monitoring developments related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and taking steps to maintain a safe and healthy environment for our visitors, volunteers and staff. We are following the guidelines from the CDC and Iowa Department of Public Health and monitoring the situation closely.
SCI remains a safe place to visit. We will be open normal operating hours, and during spring break, we also will be open on Mondays (March 16 and 23).
Here are some of the measures we’re taking to ensure the well-being of all who walk through our doors:
- Increasing the frequency of cleaning and disinfecting across the building, especially hands-on exhibits and frequently touched areas.
- Ensuring soap and hand sanitizing dispensers are refilled regularly. (If you notice that a soap or hand sanitizer dispenser is empty, please notify a staff member!)
- Encouraging all staff to practice healthy habits and asking any staff who aren’t feeling well to stay home.
We also are asking visitors to take preventative measures, as you would in other public spaces, like your workplace or school:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, and follow other Everyday Preventative Actions recommended by the CDC.
- Stay home if you are sick, feel unwell or have any cold symptoms.
In situations like this, accurate information is crucial. If you would like to learn more about the coronavirus and how to stay safe, SCI has a few options:
- Exhibit content – We have installed a new four-panel mini exhibit where you can learn what a virus is, how it spreads, what’s special about COVID-19 and why it’s important for scientists in different countries to share information. This is located in a free area of the building near the restrooms east of the lobby.
- Programming – Our "Meet Stuffee" program has been adapted as "Meet Stuffee: Germs Edition," which highlights the difference between viruses and bacteria. Our science learning team also has developed new cart demonstrations to highlight the importance of sanitation and share information about how viruses grow and spread. Cart demonstrations pop up throughout the day, and you can check our website for upcoming presentations of "Meet Stuffee: Germs Edition."
We will continue to monitor the situation closely and share updates. For any other questions or concerns related to your SCI visit, please contact me.
Thank you for your support!
President and CEO